Monday, June 6, 2011

The first day of summer and these animals are driving me crazy!!


How to make delicious animal cookies, but drive yourself absolutely crazy in the process.
My Mom got us a super cute animal cookie making kit last week.
I am totally loving all things circus since I read and then saw Water for Elephants.

I think I hear "lets join the circus" in my head at least 3 times a day.
Normal right?
Anyway we finally picked up the two things we didn't have yesterday, and I promised the kids we'd make them today.
Mace is a new spice for me.  And I cook, so it was fun to try something new. Has sort of sort of gingerbread-ish smell to it.
Okay so I look at the directions and it says the dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours.
They're kidding right? Don't they know that my four year old has the patience of like a...

FOUR YEAR OLD.
So you know the drill..."are they ready yet?"

ARE they ready yet?

ARE THEY READY YET??
Phew, two hours up and we are covered in flour and cutting out adorable animals.
Everyone is happy again.
We're in the home stretch. Right?  We are right?  No.
{I have to admit at this point I was a little charmed. these tiny little cutters pressed out tiny little adorable detailed cookies}

Next it tells me to stick the dough in the fridge for a half hour.
Seriously. They're killing me here.  These kids want animal cookies now.

Well, the timer finally goes off and the house smelled wonderful.
The cookies were gone within the next hour.
SO that my friends is how to drive yourself crazy over a simple batch of cookies. 
Or How to teach your kids (or yourself) patience.
As a newly wed before kids this would have been a lovely recipe.  And next time I'll just make the dough the night before ;-)


Here's the recipe if you want to try them out...maybe just with little cookie cutters.
Stay tuned tomorrow for some new things to hit the shop! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Sweet. I love that you shared the recipe. You're such a giver. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's fun to get love notes: