Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Momma's not messing around cookies


okay. If you are a mom, like me, you have been guilty of maybe once or twice feeding your kids cookies for breakfast a morning snack...

Mine. Well, mine love what they call my famous chocolate chip cookies.
But tell you what. Those bad boys are bad for you. like really.

I haven't mentioned it on here, or anywhere for that matter, that in April, I had a moment. 
A moment when I decided I was done ever feeling not healthy. I was done going to bed every night not really feeling good. I was exhausted.
One of the things I did around that time is watch a movie called "Hungry for Change"
The next day, I made my husband watch it.
And the next day, 
everything changed.
for real.
I lost 12 pounds in the first 5 days.
I have lost 30 pounds since.
I am full throttle now.
No one can stop me.
And to be really, truly honest.
It wasn't hard.
I never even exercised, not once, until school started about a month ago. 
Now I run with my dog every morning. But I had already lost the weight, JUST FROM EATING WELL...
 so from here on out, it's all just extra happiness.
But I am not on a diet. I am living my life. If I eat some decadent dessert on a lunch date with a girlfriend.
 It doesn't matter. Not one little bit.
Because I am not making excuses to start tomorrow. Or on Monday.
ever, ever again. 
ANYWAY
THIS is what started my crazy obsession of making a cookie, that I could feed my kids...and even eat myself without batting an eye.
I had many failed attempts. And I will add them in notes for you in the recipe below:
MOMMA'S NOT MESSING AROUND COOKIES
1/2 of a stick of salted butter (equals 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup pure unrefined cold pressed coconut oil
{you could skip the butter and go with all coconut oil which equals 1/2 cup total. But, I think it is true, butter makes everything better. And this is only a little bit shared between 15 cookies. plus I like the extra salt.}
2 eggs
1 cup palm sugar
{you can swap this for brown sugar. I do whenever I am out}
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
{okay, so here I was just trying to avoid using white flour. BUT, wholewheat flour made them taste heavy, and well, healthy. yuck.  I always do use the 1/2 cup of flaxmeal 
BUT- sometimes I use spelt, or what ever other flours I have on hand for the other 1/2 cups. SO use what you want}
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups old fashioned oats 
1 cup dark chocolate chips, or semi sweet chocolate chips, or raisins, or whatever floats your boat
1+ cup of nuts
{I usually use 1/2 cup each of pecans that I break up and throw in the bowl and 1/2 cup walnuts chopped. but honestly, once you have the base all made up you can throw in whatever goodies you want! Like raisins, go for it! chopped cranberries and almonds? delish. Don't want the chocolate? don't use it. see. what. ever. you. want.}
Preheat oven to 350
chop up cold butter and add it with the coconut oil to the bowl.
add sugar and beat, add eggs, and vanilla and beat again till pretty smooth. add flours and salt, baking soda and then oats. beat again.
Add your goodies in last with a final mix.
grease your cookie sheets and make balls that fit about 9 cookies on a sheet. These cookies are big, cause why would you mess around with anything but big cookies?
 I usually only cook 1 pan at a time 
(they always turn out better that way)
Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden
There will be a chocolate chip or two that ends up off by himself. 
That sizzling sound you hear when you pop it in your mouth sounds cool, but means you probably just burnt yourself.
must be worth it, cause it happens to me every.single.time.










No comments:

Post a Comment

It's fun to get love notes: